Monday, August 4, 2008

purses and chairs?

Oh, the neglect!

With good reason though..
I've been holding back on creating any handbags, since I have so many and havent gotten rid of them yet. I dont feel that any of them are good enough to sell yet- since they're not perfect. BUT, tonight I had some time home alone, so I set about making a bag from start to finish with no flaws. I made sure to take my time, instead of rushing to the end like I usually do. The only thing I forgot was to put the feet on.. but other than that, I think she came out rather well.
Hawaiian Kim

Hawaiian Kim

Technique wise, this is probably one of the best I've made, if not the best. I put the straps on inbetween the lining and the outershell, so there aren't any unsightly ends. I also made sure this time to have my threads matching, so the outside has red thread and the inside, which is lined in a dark navy blue shimmery fabric, has black thread. Yay!


In other news, I decided that I couldn't stand the ugly pink velour chairs any longer. I've never upholstered before- but then again, most of my sewing efforts are trial&error, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Instead of buying one of those chair covers that never quite fits, I decided to have my hand at it. I managed to find a fabric that matched our couch perfectly in colour, so I thought I'd post the progress of covering the chairs (there are two, but no sense showing both!)

DSC_0074
This is how they started out..

DSC_0078
snug tailoring..


DSC_0038
sewn and fitted..

DSC_0041
Almost done..

DSC_0047
Done! This chair gave me a bit of a headache because I wasn't thinking, did the whole thing, then opened it to recline it (they are reclining chairs) and snapped all the seams! Back to the drawing board.

I ran out of fabric so the bottoms were showing pink.. which I decided to fix by making magazine pockets on both sides..

DSC_0049
Magazine pockets!


Hurrah!
Sleepytime now!

No comments: