Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Helado De Dulce De Leche, and gardening.

So I got to make some icecream over the weekend to test out my new ice cream maker. I went for an old favourite from Argentina, Helado De Dulce De Leche. Dulce De Leche is our version of caramel, made with milk and sugar. It's heavenly. I haven't found anything anywhere near as good here (and please don't you dare suggest HaaganDaaz as an equivalent!)
So I searched for recipes, and eventually find one from www.ciberchef.com that seemed worth trying (mainly because it had no egg in it, and I wanted mine to be nice and light, gelato style)
Churning in the Ice Cream Maker

mmm. looks good!

And was oh-so-tastey.
I was just a little annoyed - it wasn't as dark and dulce-de-leche-ey as the stuff in Argentina.. next time MORE! And after freezing it it was a little icy - I guess I have to take it out and let it warm up a little before serving. I think next time I'll try Marzipan icecream!

I also got around to sorting out the red radioflyer wagon where I plant my veggies. I ripped up last year's tomatos and cleaned up the sage and strawberries that survived the winter. Then it was all about planting the new tomatoes and peppers and leeks. I even made a trellis out of bamboo and elastic bands (recycling!) for my tomatoes to have. Bring on juicy fruits! I wonder what tomato icecream tastes like..




No comments: